Around 4pm today I had to take a moment to stop and seriously think about what I was going to make for dinner. I never really run out of meal ideas (the beauty of being a foodie–you can never get bored!), however; sometimes I have TOO many ideas and then I don’t know where to start, leaving me at a standstill for dinner. When I don’t have a particular meal in mind, it is always hard for me to make a decision around this time because: 1) I just had a snack, so I’m not particularly hungry and 2) By the time I start getting hungry and figure out what I want to make, I don’t have time to prepare my meal and eat by a reasonable hour. Luckily I eventually decided that I was craving capellini and butter. (It happens, you know?) One thing lead to another and all of a sudden things started getting sassy in my kitchen.
A little extra shaved Parmesan and a drizzle of truffle oil on my finished plate made my soul smile.
Yes. The pasta was silky, cheesy, creamy and oh so delicious.
I wanted to dive in and stay a while…just kidding…maybe.
This meal was filling, delicious and went above and beyond to satisfy my cravings. The sassiness continued with dessert. It was raining and I wanted something sweet. I was also pretty full, so I allowed it to chill while I cleaned my kitchen….
Hazelnut Affogato with Lindt Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Shavings
I’m still working on cleaning out my freezer before moving in a few weeks! I took a big scoop of best-quality vanilla ice cream, placed it in a 2-cup bowl, and put it in the freezer for about 20 minutes. Topped with 1-oz or so of frangelico and espresso (TIP: I used instant espresso. All you have to do is add a teaspoon to hot water. I think it has a great acidity to it.). And garnished with Lindt Dark Chocolate Hint of Sea Salt. (TIP: After I shaved the pieces of chocolate off of my bar, I froze them for just a few minutes.)
Capellini with Shittake Mushrooms, Baby Zucchini & Shrimp
- 2 oz Capellini (or Spaghetti), made according to directions with pasta water reserved!
- 1/4 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 small shallot, fine diced
- 4-5 baby zucchini cut into thin slices
- ~4-6 oz shiitake mushroom caps, sliced
- pinch red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 TBS unsalted butter
- 2 TBS freshly grated Parmesan cheese (plus more for serving)
- ~2 TBS fresh chopped parsley (reserve some for garnish)
- 1-2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Truffle Oil (optional but so good!)
- Add olive oil to a skillet over a medium heat. Add shrimp to sear both sides.
- Remove shrimp from skillet to a separate plate and reduce the temperature of the pan to low. Add 1/2 TBS butter and scrape up any brown bits.
- Add shallot and saute in butter until tender.
- Add mushrooms, zucchini, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes until tender.
- Add white wine, deglaze and increase the heat to reduce.
- When the liquid has reduced by 1/2, add remaining 1/2 TBS butter to the pan and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta, vegetables, cheese, parsley and lemon zest. If the mixture is dry looking add pasta water. (I think I added about 1/4 cup…just add a little bit at a time so you don’t over do it.)
- Top pasta with shrimp, more parsley and cheese and a little drizzle of truffle oil.